Monday, March 24, 2008

Rio's Quilt


Dsc02867
As some of you may know, I have a major crush on handmade goods. In particular, handmade quilts. When I was a child, I had a quilt hanging from my bedroom wall, and I can still remember how special and beautiful it was. But it has only been in the last few years, as I have collected a few for myself, that I have truly come to appreciate the real beauty of a quilt.
Old quilts, to me, are especially magical. The more worn and frayed, the more, I am sure, it was loved. Every time I come home from the thrift store with a vintage quilt, I find myself thinking about the women who made it. Who was the quilt for? How much love and time was put into the project? Where was the fabric from? Who did it keep warm? And how did it come to be alone and separated from its original family? Oh, I could marvel for hours over a beautiful, beat up, old quilt!
When Pete's sister and brother-in-law announced they were pregnant, I knew right away that I wanted to make them a baby quilt. I decided Amy Carol's quilt pattern was simple and lovely, and perfect for my first project.
And finally, after three months, I am finished. It is my hope that my niece Rio, loves her quilt, as it is, a gift from the heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment