Thursday, January 14, 2010

knitting for self preservation




I began knitting just last year, when my best friend Martha gave me some gorgeous yarn and bamboo needles for my birthday. I'm pretty sure she knew that she was passing on a magical handcraft, because I know that knitting has a very special place in her heart, but I certainly had no idea what I was in for..
Since then, knitting has had a constant presence in my life and has had a wondrous impact on my soul.
Aside from the beautiful (and not so beautiful) pieces that I have created, it has also helped me to slow down and appreciate my life just as it is.
Although I am aware that I have so much to be grateful for in my life, on those especially difficult parenting days, when I feel stretched as far as I can go, and like I have nothing left to give, my graciousness is quick to leave me and I am left feeling alone and overwhelmed.
But, if I can get some time on my needles, a few brief moments of quiet amidst the noise - at the library, during naps or even while sitting on the washroom floor during bath time - it really helps me to clear my mind, gain some perspective and to simply smile at the chaos around me.
The laundry will get done, the mess will get cleaned up and dinner will (eventually) be made.
Because that is how life is, right?
One stitch, one row, one moment at a time.




Be well, friends.
Shannon

1 comment:

  1. i couldnt agree more with you about knitting! beautiful pics, too!

    ReplyDelete